My favorite “seasonal” treat is Hot Chocolate or Hot Cocoa. Rich and creamy with that heavy warm scent of chocolate – nothing beats it!
Those of you who attended my Holiday Socials at The Green Grove might remember that I liked to do a whole hot chocolate tasting menu! Milk chocolate, white chocolate, red wine chocolate…and a whole bar of toppings and add ins!
Today I am doing a little bit different kind of hot chocolate. One for your skin!
Cocoa Butter is the base of this recipe, and not only does it give it a delicious chocolate scent and this luscious silky feeling but it is also amazing for your skin! Proven to reduce scarring, calm inflammation, and be very moisturizing. The fatty acids in it, oleic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid, work as antioxidant compounds that are beneficial for the body and help to neutralize free radicals in the skin.
Watch the video or scroll down to learn how to easily make this yourself!
- 1 Cup (8oz) Raw Cocoa Butter
- 3/4 Cup (6oz) Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Jojoba Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: Essential oil of your choosing – some suggestions: Cinnamon, Peppermint or Orange.
- Double boiler setup (I just use a heat safe bowl over a large pot)
- Stand or handmixer with whisk attachment
- Spatula/stirring utensil
- Bowl or vessel for cooling (I used my Pyrex measuring cup)
- Glass container with lid for storing (plastic will absorb the smell)
– Warm up double boiler. Gently melt cocoa butter over heat.
– Once cocoa butter is melted whisk in cocoa powder until well incorporated/slightly frothy.
– Stir in coconut oil until melted.
– Remove from heat and put into bowl for cooling down. Let it sit at room temperature or pop it in the fridge or freezer (10-20mins) until it is a semi solid consistency. Like a soft butter or cream cheese.
* if it gets too solid from the fridge/freezer, let it sit out a bit to soften.
– Put in mixer and whisk on low until it starts to look slightly whipped. Roughly 3 minutes.
– Add in Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E Oil, and optionally 2-4 drops of essential oil.
– Turn mixer to medium high and whip for 10 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy like frosting.
– Put into a container and enjoy!
This will keep for about 3 months without a preservative. You just want to be careful of not letting it get too warm (it will melt) or too cold (it will become solid). A cool room temperature out of direct sunlight is perfect.
I hope you enjoy this! I have two more holiday inspired DIYs to share with you this week so stay tuned.