Leftover Turkey Day Soup
Using leftover turkey bones + scraps to make a delicious soup
- 8 cups water more or less, enough to cover bones
- 1 Turkey Carcass picked over and able to fit in large stock pot
- 1-2 large chopped onions and scraps
- 1-2 lbs chopped carrots and scraps
- 5ish stalks celery and scraps
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1.5 cup brown rice or other favorite kind
- leftover turkey meat
- .5 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp sage
- salt and pepper to taste
Add bones + veggies SCRAPS (peels/skins/tops, not chopped pieces!) to a large stock pot along with the 1 tbsp ACV. Fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 2 hours.
Remove large pieces from the pot and discard (or pick off extra meat if any) and then strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer. Return broth to stove.
Add in all the chopped veggies and the rice to the broth. Bring to a boil again.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add in leftover chopped turkey, mashed potatoes and spices. Return to a simmer.
Cook for 10 minutes and serve!